A deep dive into intellectual property for content creators in the Star Atlas metaverse
To our Star Atlas community of interstellar explorers,
This transmission explains our intellectual property policy and how it affects content creators in the vibrant Star Atlas community. But before we dive into the policy, we need to provide some context.
As you know, we are building something special. Not just a AAA-quality game, but the Star Atlas metaverse — a platform that seamlessly brings the community together and enables creators to contribute to an immersive and ever-expanding experience. In its end state, the Star Atlas metaverse will welcome players and creators alike and bring power to the people. You, the community, will own what you create and will, through the DAO, control the Star Atlas metaverse itself.
The goal is to go from here — a promising work in progress — to there — a potent and self-sustaining metaverse experience.
We, the Star Atlas Team, are gathering an incredibly dedicated and talented crew to get all of us there, but we need time. We are developing foundational lore, art, design, and game concepts for the Star Atlas metaverse. We are deploying the systems needed for the Star Atlas DAO to operate with total autonomy. We are building the platforms needed for DACs to create their own blockchain assets. We are doing all this and more.
In this critical building phase, we need to maintain strict controls over what defines the Star Atlas metaverse — we want a newcomer’s first reaction when encountering Star Atlas to be one of amazement and wonder. We therefore reserve rights to control the look and feel of Star Atlas and maintain a high standard of quality. We hope our efforts will set the bar for all future content in the Star Atlas metaverse.
Under our intellectual property policy for user-created services (included in our Terms of Service, which govern intellectual property rights and will be updated from time to time), you can freely use Star Atlas copyrights (such as images and artwork) and trademarks (the name and logo) if:
- Your use is strictly for non-commercial and not-for-profit purposes;
- You include a prominent disclaimer that your use is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Star Atlas Team and do not otherwise use Star Atlas intellectual property in a way that is likely to confuse people about the source of your use; and
- You agree to comply with any quality control requirements that the Star Atlas Team may impose at its sole discretion.
- We review uses on a case-by-case basis to ensure they comply with our policy.
For the eager content creators out there, what does this mean for you? The following are examples of permitted uses, if the use is non-commercial (nothing being sold), does not confuse others into thinking it is affiliated with the official Star Atlas Team (including by having a prominent disclaimer), and meets quality control requirements:
- Maintaining an informational guide or fan website dedicated to Star Atlas ships, lore, or other assets
- Recording videos describing and showing off Star Atlas artwork and gameplay
- Creating lore or artwork derived from Star Atlas intellectual property to be given freely to your fellow DAC members
- Creating completely original lore or artwork that is loosely grounded in the Star Atlas Metaverse but not directly based on Star Atlas intellectual property
For permissible uses, we encourage you to use the official Star Atlas logo and artwork! Just not in a way that would lead anyone to think your use is endorsed by or affiliated with the Star Atlas Team.
Examples of impermissible uses:
- Selling apparel or other merchandise bearing Star Atlas intellectual property
- Selling NFTs based directly on Star Atlas intellectual property
- Giving away art or NFTs based on Star Atlas intellectual property directly in order to induce others to contribute funds, assets, or anything of value to your DAC
- Writing lore based on Star Atlas intellectual property with the intention of selling, licensing, or otherwise developing it for a commercial purpose
If you have questions about your specific use, please reach out to our General Counsel, Dan Park (@frogverse#0001 on the Star Atlas Discord).
We are working on solutions to empower content creators to build their own content in the Star Atlas metaverse in a completely decentralized manner. Once fully realized, the Star Atlas metaverse will transform the creator-consumer relationship.
As such, expect our intellectual property policy to change over time, and also expect us to reveal more ways for you to get directly involved in content creation for the Star Atlas metaverse. We will clearly communicate any policy changes and new opportunities so everyone has a chance to participate fully.
We are grateful for your continued cooperation and support. By working together, the stars are the limit.
The Star Atlas Team
Star Atlas is a next-gen gaming metaverse emerging from the confluence of state of the art blockchain, real-time graphics, multiplayer video game, and decentralized financial technologies.
Real-time graphics technology using Unreal Engine 5’s Nanite allows for cinematic quality video game visuals. Blockchain technology using the Solana protocol established a largely serverless and secured gameplay experience. Non-fungible tokens obtained and traded within Star Atlas creates an economy that replicates the tangibility of real world assets and ownership. To learn more, visit StarAtlas.com, join a faction at Play.StarAtlas.com and send your spaceships on a deep space mission by enrolling them into the Faction Fleet.
Twitter | Discord | YouTube | Instagram | Reddit | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitch | Tik Tok | Telegram | Audius | Medium
Credit: Source link